Over at my other blog (GraceDigest.com) I have written two posts about A&E’s hit show Duck Dynasty. You can read them by clicking here and here. I also reblogged a well written post about the show you can read here. I have been amazed at the traffic my blog has received in response to those posts. It says nothing about my blog or my writing skills but it does say something about America’s fascination with the Robertson family, Duck Commander, and Duck Dynasty.
People ask lots of questions about the show and the Robertson family. So, I decided to answer some of those questions. Following are the most often asked questions.
- Did someone at Duck Dynasty die? Unbelievable! Some pointy head with too much time on his hands started a rumor and it has swept across the interned like a prairie fire. No, no one has died. And, NO, Uncle Si was not in a serious auto accident. Everyone is healthy and happy, happy, happy.
- How many employees does Duck Commander have? The latest number I’ve heard is about 60. The wild popularity of the show combined with the approaching date of December 25th caused a huge spike in sales. It was necessary to keep adding workers so that orders could be shipped as quickly as possible. The store at DC headquarters in West Monroe is busy, busy, busy.
- Is there a “missing brother”? The short answer is NO. My guess is that this “missing brother” that people ask about is Alan, the oldest brother. Except for a couple of cameo appearances on the show, Alan was absent until recently. For over two decades first son Alan Robertson worked for the church the family attends. Recently the demands of the family business prompted Alan to leave his preaching job and come to work at DC headquarters. He and his beautiful wife Lisa are knee-deep in guiding the company into the future. Alan is growing a beard! I expect to see him on the show soon. He will be a welcomed addition because in my opinion he is the funniest of the whole clan!
- What church does the Robertson family attend? All of them are members at the White’s Ferry Road Church of Christ in West Monroe, LA. Both Phil and Alan are elders there. It’s a church where camo is much more common than suits and ties. It is a cross-section of North East Louisiana, people from rich to very poor, educated and uneducated, black and white and others, whose lives has been radically transformed by Jesus Christ.
- Where does Phil and the other Robertson’s live? Alan and Lisa live in a small town west of West Monroe. Phil and Kay live by the beautiful black water river, the Ouachita. It’s the same remote location where Duck Commander began. The other sons and their families live in West Monroe.
- Are they that funny in real life? Yes! Maybe even funnier! It seems to be a family trait, there is an inner comic inside of every Robertson. Phil and Alan can tell you what the weather was last Tuesday and it’ll be funny. Family gatherings are marked by great food, lots of food!, and continuous laughter. The joking is usually directed at someone else in the family, or more often at the one telling the story. Here’s an example of Phil’s humor. As Phil and I walked into a Christmas eve service at church I asked “How you doin’ Phil?”. He replied, “Ogle, I get up in the morning and go duck hunting, I come home and go to bed. Then I repeat, I eat in-between, it’s not a bad life“, and he was off to talk to someone else.
- Is Mountain Man for real? Oh yea, as big as life. He is exactly the same when I see him at church as he is on the show. What a nice guy! Just a down to earth redneck who loves Jesus and loves people and talks really s l o w.
- How much money do the Robertson’s have? I don’t know and don’t care. I do know this, whatever level of wealth they have achieved has not changed them even the tiniest bit. They are still the same lovable family I met in June of 2000. They have more speaking engagements, they are now very famous, but other than that they are still just our friends and part of our forever family living for the supremacy of Jesus in everything.
I get other questions too but these are some of the most frequently asked.
Oh, some of you who read this might not know that Willie Robertson has another hit show called “Buck Commander” on the Outdoor Channel. Willie, a few major league baseball stars and two of country music’s superstars host this entertaining deer hunting show that features lots of actual hunting footage but also the antics of good old boys at the deer camp. Check it out, it’s a hoot.